THE BICENTENNIAL CAMPAIGN AT SAINT MARY OF THE ANNUNCIATION
About the Bicentennial Campaign
In celebration of the Diocese of Charleston turning 200 years old in 2020, the Bicentennial Campaign was launched to strengthen all parishes and missions throughout South Carolina, and to prepare our Diocese for the next century.
St. Mary of the Annunciation, the mother parish of the Diocese of Charleston, has been granted a very special exception by Bishop Guglielmone: 100% of the funds we raise through the Bicentennial Campaign will stay with our parish to make our vision become reality. None of the funds will be shared with the Diocese or the Catholic Community Foundation of South Carolina. This means we have the opportunity to carry-out the numerous renovation and restoration projects in our parish that are long overdue!
All St. Mary’s parishioners are invited to prayerfully consider supporting this effort. Your generosity will directly benefit our parish, and will ensure that St. Mary of the Annunciation remains a beautiful and vibrant space to learn and grow in the Love of Christ for generations to come. As those devoted Charleston Catholics who came before us worked to build our church, we can do our part to strengthen its foundation for our children and future Catholics to enjoy and prosper!
Your support will enable us to carry out Phase 3 and Phase 4 of our renovation plan (detailed below). In all, we are praying to raise $5,100,000 to make these projects become reality. Over $2,000,000 has already been raised through the generosity of just 77 parishioners. With over 300 registered families at St. Mary of the Annunciation, we know can hit our target with widespread support!
Supporting Our Effort
Pledges to the Bicentennial Campaign may be paid over a 5-year period. This allows individuals and families to give generously and spread payments out over a longer period of time. These pledges are not legally-binding, and the amounts may be adjusted at any time.
There is no judgement or expectation regarding the size of gift you are able to make. Any and all gifts are appreciated!
If you wish to make a pledge using IRA Distribution/Gift of Stock, please contact the Diocese of Charleston Stewardship & Mission Advancement team at (843) 261-0437.
To make a contribution directly, please the Bicentennial Campaign link found under “GIVE” at the top of the page. Pledge cards can also be picked-up in the church and parish office!
Our Current Progress
Schematic designs for proposed renovation of the parish hall and sacristy
All designs are subject to further refinement and to approval by the Diocese of Charleston and the City of Charleston.
Phase 1 = Church Exterior (Completed)
Phase 2 = Church Sacristy (Completed)
Phase 3 = Parish Hall
Phase 4 = Church Sanctuary & Vestibule
- Closing in ground floor breezeway
- Restoring three windows on street side of ground floor
- Removal of 1960's facade elements
Parish Hall - Courtyard
- Addition of second floor doorway, terrace and stairs
- Ground floor doors to connect fellowship hall with courtyard
- Elevator to serve upper floors by persons with disabilities
- Storage for equipment (garden tools, etc.)
Parish Hall - First Floor
- New kitchen on Hasell Street side with two doorways and pass through window
- New interior restrooms
- Entry hall with stairway to upper floors
- Chair and table storage beneath stairs
- Longer fellowship hall leading to courtyard
N.B. The dimensions in this depiction are not to actual scale. The room will be wider and longer.
Parish Hall - Second Floor
- Additional square footage on rear of building
- Use of glass walls in strategic locations to promote light and airy space
- Two small offices
- Second exit to outside via rear stairs
Parish Hall - Third Floor
- Same elements as Second Floor
- Second stairway not required due to low occupancy levels
- Creation of a multipurpose room (nursery, meetings, etc.)
- Location of all liturgical items in a new Work Sacristy
- More efficient storage spaces
- New vestry room for priest and deacon vestments
- New larger rest room
- Enhance visibility of stained glass windows